Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Low Road

Dear Fifi,
Sometimes I get glimpses of the person I think you'll be one day. Sometimes it looks eerily familiar because you remind me so much of myself. I heard it said once by someone I don't remember "I've never taken a high road in my entire life." And I immediately thought 'Yes! Amen, sister! Me either!' I was only aware that such a thing existed because your Grammy had moments of lucidity where she wasn't batshit crazy or mean and she used those moments to try to teach me to be something different than I am. She wanted me to take the high road.

Every parent wishes for their child to be better than they were. I'm here to tell you that the low road isn't necessarily all bad. It is quite deliciously paved with Girl Scout Cookies that support Planned Parenthood and boxed wine, when you're old enough. All the road signs include the F bomb and the people you pass down there are aflame with spontaneity and passion for all the "wrong" things. But they are not your people. Your people are actually the High Road People. High road does not equal perfect. Anybody who thinks they're perfect is not on the high road. They're lost out in the woods somewhere and they keep warm with their judgements and their self righteousness.

The High Road People are the well meaning; the ones who don't always get it right but they try so hard. The ones who think before they do and the ones who apologize when they get it wrong. They keep you honest. They keep you from being consumed by all the Girl Scout cookies, the alcohol and all the lost causes. They keep you from spontaneously combusting from rage and indignation. But mostly, they love you for who you are, just like God does. They help you to keep your heart open to hearing God when He talks. Because God talks to us no matter what road we're on. He sees you no matter where you are. Don't listen to any of the Lost in the Woods people, who tell you that you need a different path to walk with God. He created the Universe- He isn't offended by the effing road signs.

The High Road People help you to know when its time to admit you were wrong and when its okay to stand behind your words. They are the only people you need. You don't need the people lost in the woods or the other people with you on the low road. The only thing you have to do is stay open, stay mostly sober and listen to your heart. The High Road People understand. They're the best kind of people.

Love forever,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment