Thursday, April 3, 2014

Gifts

I have been giving a lot of thought lately to gifts and how we use them. It all started with this blog post by one of my very favorite women, who I wish I could pay to be my best friend, Jen Hatmaker. Then, one of my real life friends posted this entry on her own blog. And last but not least, my very good friend posted the nicest, most insightful thing anyone has ever said about me here. That's a lot of extra reading so I'll make this short.

When we talk about using our gifts to be the hands and feet of Jesus, we often don't know where to start. The problems of this world seem so big. The bureaucracy and red tape and money it takes to solve them all are so daunting. It seems like we couldn't possibly make a difference or be a blessing and so we decide to just leave it up to someone else who has more time or money or drive. Or so we think. But the truth is, if you find your purpose, find your race, the rest just falls into place somehow.

I bet now you're saying "But how do I find my purpose?"

Think about all of the injustices of this world. There are many so take your time.

Now, think about the one that grips you in the gut. The one that you find the most repulsive.

And then, think about one thing that you do better than anyone else or think about what your true passions are.

It is at the intersection of those two things, your disgust over the inequality and your enthusiasm for something you do better than anyone else, that you find your purpose. In that very place you will also find ecstasy, joy, and delight. It won’t always be easy. Sometimes it will be easier to quit. But it will always, always make you feel alive.


2 comments:

  1. i love watching you grow and change as your gift guides you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you, dammit. Come back to me and Mark Zuckerburg!! We aren't the same without you!

    ReplyDelete